Matt Makes Games Inc.
© 2018 Matt Makes Games Inc
Celeste is a 2D platformer with retro pixel-art aesthetics where the players control Madeline on her journey up Celeste Mountain. A narrative-driven, single-player adventure with a charming cast of characters and a touching story of self-discovery. A massive mountain teeming with 600+ screens of hardcore platforming challenges and devious secrets. Brutal B-side chapters to unlock, built for only the bravest mountaineers. Over 2 hours of original music led by dazzling live piano and catchy synth beats.
- Players exist in a platforming world that is not explicitly queer in the narrative but the "queerness" exists in the subtext, as it metaphorically capturing a LGBTQ+ experience. – Meeting the Queer World criteria.
- Developed by Matt Makes Games, the team behind Celeste are part of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Celeste handles the themes of mental illness very well - incorporating therapy techniques for anxiety into the gameplay and using the Celeste mountain as a metaphor for mental health battles.
- Controls are simple and accessible with added settings and an Assist Mode to give players control over gameplay variables.
- The Epilogue scene in Chapter 9 includes Madeleine at home with a pride rainbow flag and a transgender pride flag. The inclusion is subtle and with the subtext, many interpreted it to mean that Madeleine is transgender. Criticism about the inclusion of the LGBT Pride and Trans flag was often due to the developers silence in confirming Madeleine's status (until recently).
- The developer Maddy Thorson later confirmed in a 2020 blog post that both Madeleine and themself are transgender.